Fiat recently passed the 120-year anniversary of the brand, and the new 2020 Fiat 500X carries on a tradition of engaging driving that has been a feature of Fiat vehicles since that first model in 1899, the Fiat 4-hp, which was a four-seat open car with a top speed of 22-mph and 35-mpg (one of the three surviving cars is at The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn).
Today, Fiat offers many models around the world, an in the US crossovers are the top sellers. In that segment, the Fiat 500X stand out, it’s an Italian design with engaging driving dynamics that is fun to drive, and a good value all-around.
The 500X offers an advanced all-wheel-drive system standard, functionality, and a full array of safety, comfort and convenience features. The small crossover features an all-new 1.3-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine, standard nine-speed transmission and an all-wheel-drive system. Loaded with over 70 advanced safety and security features, the Fiat 500X is available in four trim models and 13 exterior colors.
Driving the new 500X is a fun twist over some of the other rivals in the segment, which includes the Kia Soul and Mini Countryman. Rivals have more rear cargo space, but cost a bit more, and the 500X interior seems a bit more upscale, and costs about the same as the Kia, and about $4,000 less than the Mini. The small engine is nice and gets good fuel economy, but I’d like more power. Nearly every carmaker today has a compact crossover in the fleet, so there are many choices. The Fiat brings the cache of being Italian and exotic to a crowded field of brands. I like it because it’s different and stand out from the pack.
What’s New for 2020:
• New Fiat 500X Sport model features new front and rear fascia designs, body-color painted side moldings and dark-finish exterior accents plus all-new “Rovente Red” exterior paint color. Interior features include dark headliner and pillars, new Sport-inspired seating, refined console bezel finishes, as well as a new flat-bottom techno-leather steering wheel with Alcantara inserts and paddle shifters
• Black roof option available on all Fiat 500X models
• The Fiat 500X offers an all-new 1.3-liter turbocharged engine from its recent launch in the 2019 model year (tested).
• 2020 Fiat 500X features an all-new 1.3-liter direct-injection turbocharged engine with the latest iteration of the FCA exclusive MultiAir III valve-actuation technology, engine stop-start technology. The new engine comes standard on all models and provides excellent fuel economy up to 30 miles per gallon (mpg), reduces emissions, and provides 177 horsepower and 210 lb.-ft. of torque
• 2020 Fiat 500X combines Italian design, LED daytime running lamps and rear taillamps, plus engaging driving dynamics.
• Advanced intelligent all-wheel-drive system comes standard plus a full array of safety, comfort and convenience features
• Fiat 500X leverages the iconic Cinquecento’s DNA to deliver classic Italian style with additional space and utility, featuring comfortable seating for five, clever storage and additional ground clearance with 17-18- and new 19-inch wheels. The 500X’s dual-pane sunroof (available on all trim levels) offers a power-sliding panoramic roof with side glass panels, which match with the body-side sheet metal for an open and spacious effect
• Fiat 500X Trekking features rugged styling with Satin Silver accents and unique front and rear fascia designs for a more distinct, adventurous look
• As the first FIAT vehicle available with an all-wheel-drive system, the Fiat 500X delivers performance, fuel economy and capability through thoughtfully engineered systems and components:
• The standard all-wheel-drive system uses a disconnecting rear axle to improve efficiency
by reducing parasitic loss when the all-wheel drive is not needed
• Dynamic Selector system allows drivers to select the most suitable vehicle configuration
for different driving conditions
• 70 available advanced safety and security features, including Front and Rear Park Assist and adaptive cruise control, Forward Collision Warning-Plus, LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection
• The 2020 Fiat 500X offers advanced technology, including standard Uconnect 4 with 7-inch touchscreen radio, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; Bluetooth hands-free calling, voice command and streaming audio; available navigation and SiriusXM Radio. The available BeatsAudio premium sound system includes eight speakers and a subwoofer for studio-quality sound
• Apple CarPlay enables iPhone users to access Apple Maps, Messages, phone and Apple Music through Siri Voice Control or the Uconnect touchscreen
• Android Auto enables easy and safe access to Google voice search, Google Maps and Google Play Music via the Uconnect 7-inch touchscreen or steering-wheel controls
• Uconnect 4 system includes performance improvements with faster startup time, enhanced processing power, vivid imagery, plus higher resolution and sharper graphics
For 2020, the Fiat 500X lineup consists of four models:
Fiat 500X: (Tested) Starting at $24,740, the standard model of line offers an advanced all-wheel-drive system standard, functionality, and a full array of safety, comfort and convenience features. The fun-to-drive small crossover features an all-new 1.3-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
Fiat 500X Sport: Starting at $26,895, the Fiat 500X Sport builds on its classic Italian design with a youthful, sporty appearance that offers even more customized features on top of an advanced, fuel-efficient turbocharged engine.
Fiat 500X Pop: Starting at $24,590, the Fiat 500X Pop features the fuel-efficient 1.3-liter turbocharged engine, all-wheel-drive capability and the Dynamic Selector System that offers three customized drive modes (Auto, Sport, Traction+) for optimal performance. Classic Italian style is complemented with 17-inch silver aluminum wheels, projector headlamps and new LED daytime running lamps and taillamps, plus power and heated mirrors with turn signals. Inside, a leatherette steering wheel and gear-shift knob add a premium appearance.
Fiat 500X Trekking: Starting at $25,995, the Fiat 500X Trekking builds on the Pop model and adds a rugged front fascia with black grille and metallic surround, as well as a rear fascia that includes a metallic appearance. Deep tint sunscreen glass, metallic door handles and premium 17-inch silver aluminum wheels add to its bold look while LED headlamps and cornering front fog lamps provide improved visibility.
Fiat 500X Trekking Plus: Starting at $29,495, Trekking Plus adds additional premium content and style, including 17-inch matte black machined aluminum wheels, chromed daylight opening molding and advanced LED headlamps and LED fog lamps that provide optimal lighting capacity in any driving condition for enhanced visibility and safety.